One of my followers asked advise of what kind of school supplies can she get as a gift for her niece, who will be starting kindergarten soon. Well Ashley, and everyone else, I have been researching this question and I found out most schools will either collect money from each family to purchase what supplies the teachers want, have supplies already available for each student, or they will provide a detailed list of what they want each child to have.
There are always the basic supplies every child needs for school, either to bring with them or to have available at home for homework. Yes, even many kindergarten children will have homework! Below are a few standard items that each child may possibly need.
- A backpack large enough to fit a 9 x 12 folder (some prefer not wheeled)
- Box of crayons
- Box of colored markers (washable)
- Box of colored pencils (already sharpened)
- Bottle of white school glue
- Glue sticks
- #2 pencils (already sharpened)
- A pencil eraser
- A pencil sharpener (handheld type)
- Child size scissors (blunt but not plastic)
- Shoe box type container for storing supplies in
- Multi colored pack of construction paper
- Pocket folders
- Lunch box if they need to bring lunch
- Large box of tissues (children use a lot of these)
Every kindergarten teacher has their own preference to what supplies they want the children in the classroom to have. What ever you need to purchase, be sure the child’s name is on everything they take to school. It will help clear up some of the confusion over glue bottles or a box of crayons.
I have listed a few links to websites that can help parents in their quest for school supplies.
School will be starting soon, and many kindergarten children might feel scared and intimidated by the older children. As I mentioned in previous blogs, help your children be prepared, show them the classroom, read stories about going to school and be positive and upbeat about sending them off to kindergarten. Does this help?